Recent Posts

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Unbound - Colours of Love by Kathryn Taylor



Image and blurb from Goodreads:

Grace is young and has led a sheltered life. She hasn't yet taken much of an interest in men. It's only while doing an internship in London, where she meets the alluring Jonathan Huntington, that our sleeping beauty is awoken from her slumber. Jonathan is rich, incredibly attractive, and stems from British royalty - but he is a far cry from Prince Charming. He lures Grace ever deeper into his world of sinister passion, and she is sucked further and further into the maelstrom of her own growing desires. But when Jonathan demands she do the unthinkable to prove her love for him, she realizes just how dangerous her feelings for him are.

Kathryn Taylor has been a writer since childhood - publishing her first story when she was eleven years old. From then on, she knew that she wanted to be a professional author one day. After a few career detours and a happy ending in her personal life, her dream has finally come true: UNBOUND - COLOURS OF LOVE is her first novel.


*******************************************************************************

My thoughts:

2,5 "Virgin meets CEO" STARS.

ARC via NetGalley - Thank you, Bastei Entertainment
So, yeah, this was another innocent, virgin college student meets hot, mysterious CEO. One would think I’d already gotten my fair share of those, but I keep coming back for more. And that’s why I wanted to read this book, because of its formula.

But I’m sorry to say that the writing wasn’t enough to keep me interested.

The first couple of pages already showed me I’d be coming across A LOT of telling vs showing problems. I kept editing the book in my head, and if I’m doing that, I’m not really paying attention to the story. As an author, you want me to pay attention to the story.

And to be completely honest here, even if I weren’t too busy editing, I’m not so sure I would’ve connected with the MC – Gracie – anyway. I found myself asking “REALLY? I MEAN, REALLY?” way too many times while reading Gracie’s adventures.

She made me smile when she arrived in London and went straight to her boss, assuming he was there to pick her up. It was a good, funny “really?” But then things simply spiraled out of control after that and went into “this can’t be real” territory pretty fast.

I mean, who gets drunk during a business dinner with your boss and his associates/friends, whatever? I mean, who does that? And she’s only been working for the guy for two weeks. It’s so unprofessional that I have a hard time believing anyone in their right mind would do such a thing.

But professional is not a word I can use to describe Gracie. She’s supposed to be this super smart chick that got an internship in Europe and all. You have to be smart to get a chance like that. But then she gets to London and all she thinks about is Jonathan. She doesn’t stop obsessing over the man for a second. I don’t get to see her doing a good job at her REAL job. She shamelessly flirts with him even after he tells her he doesn’t mix business and pleasure. DUDE! You’re getting this great opportunity and all you can think about is getting laid? I mean, really? What about the internship? What about your career?

So… yeah… that was my biggest problem with the book. Gracie. And her lack of common sense. By the way, why was she a virgin? What was the point? If all she was going to think about was sex, why not make her a sexually active woman?

I don’t even know what to say about Jonathan. We didn’t get to know him very well – which leads to the question: “How has Gracie fallen in love with him if we don’t even know him?”. But I truly appreciated his honesty. He was not bullshitting her. He wasn’t promising her anything. He told her time and time again that that was sex. Only sex. She got into that mess fully aware of that. So yay for honesty. He shouldn’t have slept with her anyway, but…

The sex scenes were pretty good. Hot. Intense. 

The book ends with a cliffhanger… so there’s that. I’m not sure I’ll be coming back for more, but we’ll see.

No comments: