Recent Posts

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo



Image and blurb from Goodreads:

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.
 

Kaz's crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.


*******************************************************************************

My thoughts:

5 "This isn’t romance yet I’m shipping everyone” STARS


Before you get mad at me for my review, go ahead and check the rest of my reviews on Goodreads or here. You’ll notice a pattern: I usually read books to see people (humans or not) falling in love. So, yeah, I read Six of Crows and, although it isn’t a romance (not even close), I still managed to find a way to ship all the six main characters. 

What does that say about me? Don’t know. *shrugs*

Fair warning. Don’t let my review fool you. This book isn’t highly focused on romance. There’s a lot of action, character development, scheming, explosion, fights, and a little bit of romance. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

Six of Crows is a story of unlikable, strong and smart characters, but while we have six POVs (or more), I’d call Kaz the protagonist. Why? Because you simply can’t write a character like Kaz and not expect him to take over the story.

He did.

Kaz is a jerk – that’s probably not even the best word to describe him. Ruthless. He’ll stop at nothing, I mean nothing, to get what he wants. And he wants power. A lot of it. All of it. And money. Why? Because revenge is the best plot device out there, people. The most interesting part of it all is that he’ll drag you into it with him. You’ll want Kaz to get what he wants despite the fact that he does a lot of ugly things.

I liked Kaz right from the start. I knew I wasn’t supposed to, and yet I was, but nothing could’ve stopped me from liking him. His voice was pretty phenomenal – and we’re talking about a third person, multiple POV story here. I immediately connected with his sense of humor. It won’t appeal to everyone, but it sure made me smile and laugh more times than I’d anticipated.

Although Kaz was the clear protagonist in my mind, he wasn’t the one to steal my heart. That was Inej. Girl…. You’re just everything I need in a character. Inej is strong. Damn, she might be one of the strongest characters I’ve read in a while. The things she had to deal with before she became The Wraith? Poor girl. But now she’s somebody. A somebody who everybody talks about. She’s one to fear. But unlike Kaz, Inej’s heart isn’t all darkened yet. She can still feel remorse and pain. And that’s why I loved her more than Kaz.

Together, Inej and Kaz made this story one of my favorite books of 2015. The rest of the fabulous characters, Leigh’s writing, the intelligent plot choices and the world building made this one of my favorite YA fantasies ever.

I need more. When can I have more? This book is my jurda parem . Read it, and you’ll understand.

*******************************************************************************

After finishing it:

No words. I just finished this and I don't know what to do with myself because I need more. More.

Full review to come, but let me tell you that this book gave me 3 new ships so OF COURSE I love it so damn much!!! 


No comments: