Recent Posts

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Review - Heartbeat (Morta Fox #1) by D.N. Hoxa

Image and blurb from Goodreads
Title: HeartBeat
(Morta Fox #1)
Author: D.N. Hoxa
Publication date: October 23rd, 2016
Category/Genre: Adult Paranormal Romance
Almost twenty years ago, earth shook from explosions that killed billions, and wiped away civilization. Only a small part of the city of Boston remained intact.

To Morta Fox, a twenty-year-old girl living all alone outside the Wall of Protection, waking up with a craving for blood is something she never imagined could happen. To make matters even worse, a vampire who calls himself Hammer takes away her last attempt at self-destruction.

Hammer has been chasing Everard – the vampire last seen with his missing mate – for a year. Right before he finds him, he witnesses a girl jump off the tenth floor of a building. Though her bones break, she heals just as fast. When she stands up, she runs as fast as only vampires can. But she can’t possibly be one, because…she has a beating heart.

When Hammer saves Morta against her will, she’s furious. Until he proposes a deal. If Morta agrees to help him find her Lord Everard, Hammer will, in return, kill her. It’s a simple deal. They even make a promise, and in the vampire world, promises cannot be broken. 

Nothing goes as planned. Morta soon discovers that her beating heart is not the only thing that makes her unusual, and Hammer is the only one who is willing to protect her. Being equally stubborn, it takes a long time for them to admit that constantly saving each other from harm has nothing to do with their deal, and everything to do with how they feel.

By the time that happens, Morta’s part of the deal is completed, and Hammer has only seven days left to fulfill his. What happens to a vampire when he doesn’t keep his promise?


Buy Links: Amazon 

3 “Vampire & Dangerous Oaths” Stars

ARC provided by author.

Thank you!!!

Yes, I am one of those people anxiously waiting for paranormal romance to make a comeback. Vampires, shifters, angels and ghosts. All of it. In YA, New Adult and Adult. Just gimme all.

That’s why I jumped on the chance to read this paranormal romance. While it wasn’t as thrilling, innovative and angsty as I wanted it to be, it was still entertaining.

This is the story of Morta Fox (in Portuguese, morta means dead so… yeah, funny and weird) and how she handles becoming a vampire. In a world destroyed by bombs that mysteriously went off and wiped away civilization, Morta tries to stay away from the rest of the survivors…living her life alone. Until one day she has a run in with a weird being that turns her into a monster: a vampire.

Terrified of what she becomes, Morta tries to end her life, but fails every single time. She then meets Hammer, an experienced vampire who’s looking for the monster who turned Morta. In exchange for her help in locating “her Lord”, he promises to kill her. Until the moment he decides he can’t kill her at all, because he's fallen in love with her.

I was expecting a couple of things from this book: a new take on vampirism, lots of action and a super strong romance.

The author did try a few new things with the vampires she presented, especially with Morta, since she was a different kind of monster. I won’t get too much into that because of spoilers, but let’s just say Morta is the kind of vampire other vampires fear. It was interesting to see some of the things that made Morta unique, mainly because it was what set this story apart from others books with the same theme.

As to the action scenes, there were a few good moments filled with tension. I wasn’t a big fan of how often Morta and Hammer found themselves surrounded by enemy and running away from them, but I understood the author was trying to keep things moving… it just didn’t have to be so literal, you know? Some of those scenes ended up being repetitive.

Last but not least, I think the reason I can’t rate this higher is because I just couldn’t connect with the romance. Often, the romance is what makes or breaks a book for me (unless I’m reading a mystery/thriller or a book that has no romance subplot). But in paranormal romance, I expect the romance to make me feel everything at the same time. I want to suffer with the characters, love when they love, hate when they hate, and all that. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen here.

And when it comes to paranormal with a hate-t0-love relationship, which seemed to be what the author was going for with Morta and Hammer, the bar is set high because I’m a Jericho Barrons-MacKayla Lane child. If you’re characters are fighting, I want to see the sexual tension, the desperation, the snarky comebacks and everything else. Again, it wasn’t happening here.

Morta and Hammer fought a lot, but the tension between them was missing. The dialogue often felt forced, and I felt like most of the time Morta was just being stubborn for the sake of it. Hammer also didn’t reach his potential as an alpha, and he wasn’t a good beta, either. I have problems with characters that fall in between, especially in paranormal. That’s a genre where I want all my love interests to be alphas, and Hammer had potential to be a good one. He just didn’t captive me the way I wanted him to. Neither did Morta. I didn't dislike her. In fact, I could understand her desperation and I thought it was touching that she cared so much about not hurting people that she was desperate to stop herself from turning into a monster. I just wish I could've connected with her...


I also wish I could’ve liked this more than I did.

Having said that, if you’re a paranormal romance fan, check the other reviews on Goodreads before you make a decision about this book, because other readers are rating it four and five stars.


*If you liked this review (or not), if you read the book (or not), come say hello and leave your comments bellow.

No comments: