Recent Posts

Monday, July 24, 2017

*Grabby Hands* Release & Review - One True Pairing (Fandom Hearts #2) by Cathy Yardley

Image and blurb from Goodreads

TitleOne True Pairing
(Fandom Hearts #2)
Author: Cathy Yardley
Category/Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Publication Date: July 25th, 2017
Publisher: Swerve
They couldn't be more opposite, the Hollywood actor and the hometown girl, but all they need is a little convention magic to become the perfect ship in Cathy Yardley's One True Pairing.
Jake Reese needs a decoy girlfriend. Fast. The lead actor of the popular TV show, Mystics, is tired of losing his shirt to overeager fans. Literally. Which is why a chance meeting with gothabilly bookworm-slash-barista Hailey Frost seems almost too perfect to be true. Hailey is not impressed with his TV fame and is desperate to save her family's bookstore. It's a match made in Hollywood, but as the two pretend to date, fan fiction becomes reality. Can this OTP become canon? 


Buy LinkAmazon

4 “Fangirls & Cons” Stars

ARC via NetGalley

Thank you, Swerve!


This book was freaking adorable.

I didn't expect to like this as much as I did, but it had all the right elements to win me over.


The story of Hailey (a hard-working, kickass woman who loved a certain sci-fi show) and Jake (a young actor in a hit CW-like sci-fi show) was equal parts adorable and hot.


Jake and Hailey meet when the actor is "assaulted" by fans, and from that moment on they spend a lot of time together trying to help each other, both because they need it and because they can't seem to walk away from each other. The attraction is instant, and due to the timeline, they fall in love quite fast, but somehow it still didn't feel like insta-love for me.


There was something special about the way the author handled their interactions and managed to add enough info about their past, creating that sense that while they'd only recently met, they already knew enough about each other (and had been through enough) that it made sense for them to fall in love. And dude, those two went through a lot: fake relationship, obsessed fans, family problems, fights, stalkers... and finally sex. LOL.


That was another plus for me: the fact that they didn't have sex early on. There's almost, almost sex, but things happen, which means the sexual tension lasts a lot longer. Yay!


Now, the characters were the true winners in this story for me. Both Hailey and Jake were awesome in their own way. Hailey was a kickass woman with enough attitude to make me fall for her right from the beginning. She's exactly how I like my MCs: independent, anti slut-shaming, sex-positive, fierce, sometimes a little too stubborn and a real family-girl. Her relationships with her sisters made her even more likable. I loved how she took care of them.


And Jake... Jake was adorably adorable. I mean, dude was so sweet. He was the beta to Hailey's alpha. He had a nice arc going on with his issues with his dad and learning how to stand up to himself, but when it came to Hailey and their relatioship, I thought Jake had things a lot more figured out than Hailey. He knew what he wanted and he didn't play games to get there, even when though they had a fake relationship going for a while. I thought he respected her, and when he made a mistake, he didn't see a problem with apologizing. And he was sexy AF. I loved Jake.


Since I love both Hailey and Jake, it was pretty easy to fall for them as a couple, too. They were hot from moment on, but they also shared some quiet moments that only helped them bond.


Other than the main characters and their romance, I also loved the side characters and their dynamics. Hailey and her sisters had the kind of relationship that showed love, but also had room for conflict, which I'm guessing will be explored later on in the series. I'm also super curious about Rachel's past love life. 


On Jake's side, I adored Miles and Simon's friendship and I want more of that. Even the interactions between Miles, Simon and Jake were pretty great. There's this one scene where they're doing a panel and Jake follows up a joke between Miles and Simon with one of his own, and I was SCREAMING because it was THAT brilliant. It gave me major TVD cast in early seasons FEELS (only with three guys and no Nina Dobrev).



*sighs* I miss how good that show was. Seasons 1 to 3 were just the best.

Back to the book... I have to say I was more than pleased to see Brazil mentioned there. Go, Brazil!!!!




Well, there were A LOT of things I loved about this book, as you can see. I highly recommend it to all fans of romance. If you also happen to love TV shows, conference and panels with actors, and actors interacting with fans, then what are you waiting for? Go grab a copy.
*If you liked this review (or not), if you read the book (or not), come say hello and leave your comments bellow.

No comments: