Recent Posts

Monday, July 16, 2018

*Grabby Hands* Review - Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney

Image and blurb from Goodreads

Title: Sometimes I Lie
Author: Alice Feeney
Publication Date: March 23rd, 2017
Publisher: Flatiron Books
Category/Genre: Adult Psychological Thriller
My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me: 
1. I’m in a coma. 
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore. 
3. Sometimes I lie. 

Amber wakes up in a hospital. She can’t move. She can’t speak. She can’t open her eyes. She can hear everyone around her, but they have no idea. Amber doesn’t remember what happened, but she has a suspicion her husband had something to do with it. Alternating between her paralyzed present, the week before her accident, and a series of childhood diaries from twenty years ago, this brilliant psychological thriller asks: Is something really a lie if you believe it's the truth?


Buy Links: Amazon



4.5 "Twisted like a Pretzel" Stars

 

Three things you need to know about Sometimes I Lie:

 

1. Don’t look at spoilers before or while you’re reading

2. You probably won’t guess all the twists and turns and that’ll make the experience even better

3. It’s as good as everyone else is saying

 

Sometimes I Lie has been on my TBR for a while, but the library waiting list was LONG, so I had to sit and wait. I did, and I was rewarded with a great reading experience.

 

I can’t go into too many details (read #1 above), but I have to say it’s been a long, long time since I read a book that kept me guessing. The last psychological thrillers I read were good, but the surprise elements fell short because I guessed them pretty early on. This didn’t happen this time. I had a bunch of theories about the accident, the diary, the people involved in all of it, like I normally do, and but while I guessed some of the small twists, the major ones caught me by surprise.

 

The whole thing was so well-planned that, every time a twist was revealed, I had to stop, go back and reread some scenes just to make sure they fit the narrative. I’m glad to say most of them did.

 

The characters were another great surprise. I wasn’t sure how to feel about Amber, but she turned out to be smarter and stronger than I expected. I almost threw my Kindle across the room when the last chapter started (that’s how mad I was at what I thought was her “decision”), but then, once again, BOOM!

 

 

Again, reviewing this book and keeping it spoiler free is almost impossible, so I’ll stop talking. All you need to know is that the book is well worth the read, even if the twist at the end was confusing and unnecessary, in my opinion.

 

Grab your copy, get ready to for all the twists and reveals and enjoy the ride.


*If you liked this review (or not), if you read the book (or not), come say hello and leave your comments bellow.

No comments: