Recent Posts

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Review - The Hardest Fall by Ella Maise

Image and blurb from Goodreads
Title: The Hardest Fall
Author: Ella Maise
Publication Date: April 18th, 2018
Category/Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance

The first time you meet someone, you make eye contact. You smile, say hello. Should be simple, if you’re anyone but me. The first time I met Dylan Reed, I found myself making eye contact with a different part of his body. You see, I’m very good at being shy, not to mention extremely well-versed in rambling nonsense and, unfortunately, rather highly skilled at making a fool of myself in front of a guy I’m attracted to.

At the time, I knew nothing about him and thought none of what I said would matter since I’d never speak to him again. Turns out, I was very wrong. He was the star wide receiver of the football team, one of the few players expected to make it into the NFL, and I ended up seeing him all over campus.
I might have also propositioned him, run away from him, attacked him with a cooking utensil…and…uh, maybe I shouldn’t tell you all of it. It’s pretty normal stuff, things you’d expect…from me. Eventually, the time came when I couldn’t hide anymore—not that he’d have let me even if I tried.
Before now, he never knew I was secretly watching him. Now that we see each other every day, he knows when I have a hard time looking away. It doesn’t help that I’m not the most subtle person in the world either.

He smiles at me and tells me he finds me fascinating because of my quirks. I can’t even tell him that I think my heart beats differently whenever he’s around.

He thinks we’re going to be best friends. I think I have a big thing for him, and the more I get to know him, the more I don’t care that I’m not allowed to be his friend, let alone fall for him.

The thing is, that’s exactly what I’m doing—what we’re doing, I think.

Falling.

Hard.


Buy LinkAmazon

3.5 “New Adult Slow Burn” Stars

Right about when this book came out, I tried reading it, but it might’ve been the wrong time because I didn’t connect with the writing and decided to save it for later. Now, after seeing tons of readers recommending The Hardest Fall for slow burn fans, I gave it another choice and I really enjoyed it.

It’s been a while since the last time I read a romance about college students, and this book had so much of the things I love in NA. The writing wasn’t exactly my favorite, but I loved Dylan and Zoe’s relationship—especially because it was easy to see Dylan’s feelings, and I always LOVE when the hero is the one waiting for the heroine to catch up and admit her feelings for him.

Dylan was an amazing hero. He was alpha, but not an asshole; he was sexy AF and he never made fun of all of Zoe’s quirks or disrespected her in any way. Despite being a football player, he wasn’t portrayed as a man-whore. In fact, he made it clear from the start that he was a one-woman kind of guy and he showed that repeatedly. He adored Zoe and he wasn’t shy about showing anyone he felt that way, which only made him more appealing. I absolutely loved Dylan.

Zoe was also a great character. She was a little much at times, but she had some great moments and her reaction when one of her friends was attacked won me over, because she pushed fear away and was brave enough to protect the person she loved.

Overall, this was a sexy read with a slow burn romance and a book-boyfriend material hero, so I’m happy I didn’t give up on this story.

*If you liked this review (or not), if you read the book (or not), come say hello and leave your comments bellow.

No comments: