Recent Posts

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

*Grabby Hands* Release & Review - The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

Image and blurb from Goodreads

Title: The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Author: Mackenzie Lee
Category/Genre: Young Adult Historical
Publication Date: June 27th, 2017
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Henry “Monty” Montague was born and bred to be a gentleman, but he was never one to be tamed. The finest boarding schools in England and the constant disapproval of his father haven’t been able to curb any of his roguish passions—not for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men.

But as Monty embarks on his Grand Tour of Europe, his quest for a life filled with pleasure and vice is in danger of coming to an end. Not only does his father expect him to take over the family’s estate upon his return, but Monty is also nursing an impossible crush on his best friend and traveling companion, Percy.

Still it isn’t in Monty’s nature to give up. Even with his younger sister, Felicity, in tow, he vows to make this yearlong escapade one last hedonistic hurrah and flirt with Percy from Paris to Rome. But when one of Monty’s reckless decisions turns their trip abroad into a harrowing manhunt that spans across Europe, it calls into question everything he knows, including his relationship with the boy he adores.


Buy LinkAmazon

4 “Gay My Lady Jane” Stars


What is this awesomeness and when do I get more?

This book is freaking hilarious and pretty wonderful, too! To be completely honest, I didn't even remember what this book was supposed to be about when I picked it up after waiting long months for its release. I mean, I'm pretty sure I read the blurb once upon a time, but then I only remembered that I wanted to read it and not why.


Well, it didn't matter. It didn't even matter that after a while into the story the plot wasn't even clear. The lack of clarity plot-wise would've made me want to stop reading if we were talking about a different story, but how could I stop when the main character's voice was that amazing?


Monty was hilarious in a natural, almost "I have no idea how funny I am" kind of way. The narrative reminded me of My Lady Jane, another hilarious historical, and pulled me from page one.


I followed Monty, Percy (his BFF and the love of his life) and Felicity's (his sister) adventure on their Grand Tour of Europe with a smile that refused to die. I probably looked pretty silly whenever I was reading, and I deserve a prize for all the times I swallowed my laughter on the bus while strangers stared at me for silently laughing at my Kindle.


This is a prettier version of me reading this book:




Monty was the star of the show, but let's not forget Felicity and Percy.


Percy was adorable. Just freaking adorable. He was perfect for Monty because they were so different, but had that kind of strong bond that comes from knowing the other person their entire lives. And the tension... the freaking tension!?!?!?! I can't even.




All I'm going to say is I SHIPPED IT from the very start.




Now, Felicity, dear Felicity, you awesome human being who kicked asses even though people tried to say you couldn't kick ass because you were a girl... Felicity was awesome. Felicity stitched herself up because the two guys with her were too scared to do so. She freaking stitched herself up, people! I don't care about anything, because Felicity was a badass.





I also loved the "pirates" and how they became such an important part of the story, and their leader played a big part in helping Monty with his personal journey! Basically, I loved all the characters.


The plot itself was still a little meh for me, but I didn't care all that much because Monty's narrative kept me entertained and I wanted to see what badass Felicity would do next, and what adorable thing Percy would do, and I needed to be there for when the freaking ship finally sailed (=KISSING!!!) and all that.

The only thing I wished had been a bit different was Monty's arc. While I did think he learned a lot, I still thought he was rather immature in the end. Monty was one of those characters that made it too easy to love his because of how funny he was, but whenever another character pointed out his flaws, they were so obvious I couldn't help but cringe a little. Like I said, there was character growth. He made decisions in the end of the book he wouldn't have in the beginning, but I still didn't think it was enough.


Other than that, this was a pretty amazing story. If you loved My Lady Jane, then you'll probably love this one, too. If you haven't read My Lady Jane yet, then I don't know what you're waiting for. Grab both books and enjoy!

*If you liked this review (or not), if you read the book (or not), come say hello and leave your comments bellow.

No comments: